A recent article, Managing Work Related Stress : Help Employees Deal with It by Sarah Smith says that stress poses risks from personal havoc to professional exhaustion. When workers are stressed, they jeopardize the entire organizations. Therefore, business leaders should tackle workplace stress by understanding its causes, working to eliminate or reduce workplace stressors, and compassionately supporting stressed and exhausted individuals.
Causes of stress in the workplace.
- Aggressively micromanaging employees or regarding them as robots, often results in burnout and stress as workers feel like they have no freedom over their day-to-day work lives.
- A mixed-up management/work structure or one where employees have conflicting functions.
- Indifferent team members– hostile work environments.
- Obnoxious or unjust management practices.
- Placing unreasonable demands on employees.
Signs/Effects of stress throughout the workplace.
- Increasing numbers of disputes within the staff–serious personal and professional issues between workers.
- High turnover.
- More tardiness and absenteeism.
- Frequent complaints and grievances.
- Decline in productivity.
Tips to reduce stress in the workplace.
- Build a culture that values each and every individual and fosters morale and productivity.
- Design a workspace like Philadelphia Team Office Space that helps promote teamwork and rapport.
- Promote a wider degree of autonomy to inspire and motivate employees.
- Create a well defined hierarchy (organizational structure) where everyone feels valued and understands their duties and responsibilities better.
- Have a clear understanding of who they report to.
- Have clear expectations for appropriate workforce behavior.
- Understand and address the root causes of their stress and, if crucial, connect them to appropriate support such as mental health resources and counseling.
Workplace stress is inevitable, hence, understanding the root causes of it and working proactively to create a supportive and happy work environment for staff are essential for running a successful business. Looking for a positive environment office in Philadelphia? Well, YourOffice Philadelphia offers you a wide choice of office and workspace solutions: small office space Philadelphia, executive suites Philadelphia and meeting space Philadelphia. You’ll have access to a complete array of office support and concierge services as well as state-of-the-art business technology.