A recent article, Leadership Mistakes: 3 Things to Do When You Really Step In It by Ken Downer says that leadership means doing your best to keep the team together and moving forward. Nevertheless, it’s inevitable that mistakes occur along the way, leadership mistakes will happen occasionally. What you do when they arise makes all the difference.
Here are three tips to handle leadership mistakes and make your team stronger than before.
1. Own it.
Good leadership is taking responsibility for your team in a team office space. Taking immediate ownership (whether you did it or not) offers a lot of good reasons.
- It sets a positive example for others to follow.
- It fosters honesty and trust in your team.
- It establishes a sense of personal accountability.
- It allows the team to focus on finding solutions rather than finding fault.
2. Take necessary action to make things right.
- A good start is a sincere apology: “I’m sorry.” “I messed that up.”
- Correct the problem at once, but if it will take time, you can book a meeting space and share the plan and timeline with the team, and adhere to it.
- If the mistake deviates your team from your goal, review and reorient so that you’re taking the next steps moving in the right direction.
- Be vocal about what was wrong and relate it to your team’s core values. In that way, you strengthen those values in a very powerful way.
3. Learn from the experience.
- Reflect on how you can keep yourself from making the same mistake.
- Discuss with your team and get their input if appropriate what methods or processes you could modify to prevent a recurrence.
- Implement what you have learned.
Making occasional mistake is inevitable, how you deal with it matters. YourOffice will help you choose the right workspace solutions for your team. YourOffice has come alongside hundreds of business looking for everything from plug and play offices to full service virtual offices. We know your business is unique, and your office space shouldn’t be any different. Let us match the perfect space or service to fit your business needs.